Grange Park Opera's chorus sings outside
SUN 14 JUNE 2020
The young are the future.
Every autumn, Head of Music, Philip White sifts through hundreds of CVS and selects around 200 to audition for the following summer at Grange Park Opera. He is looking for a 40-strong chorus – sometimes two choruses – and smaller roles and covers. Auditions take place in London, Manchester and Glasgow.
During the summer rehearsal and performance time, there are one-to-one coaching and the chance to share the stage with, and learn by observing, principal artists from around the world.
When the 2020 season was cancelled, every chorister received a part-payment of their fee from the Artist-in-Need fund. They sent messages of thanks and now sing their thanks for your support.
FIFTEEN CHORUS MEMBERS FROM GRANGE PARK OPERA SEND GOOD WISHES FROM THE WIDE WORLD
A picnic from…
– Irish soda bread with smoked salmon, dill and lemon juice
– Cod and pea fritters with a side salad
– English strawberries and cream
Cod and pea fritters
– 400g of cod fillet
– 500g of mashed potato (you can find ready-made mash in most supermarkets)
– 1 tsp of butter
– 140g peas
– A generous handful of chopped, fresh mint
– 1tbsp mayonnaise
– 2 tbsp of flour
– 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Cut the cod into chunks and pop them into a pan of melted butter for about 5mins until the cod starts to soften and flake.
- Take the pan off the heat and let cool. Flake the cod into a bowl and season with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Make sure your potatoes are well mashed (I always add a little milk in to give the mash a creamy texture) and add in the fish alone with your cooked peas, mint and mayo. Gently mix everything together.
- Flour your hands and shape the mixture into patties (You should get about 10)
- Dust both sides of the patty and allow to chill for 30-40mins.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the cakes for 3-6 minutes until golden brown on each side.
- Cool and place them in a lunch box in the fridge until you’re ready to head out. Serve with a salad on the side.