The son of a farmer
Bryn Terfel (staying at home)
SAT 6 JUNE 2020
Summer 2021 will be Bryn’s fourth season with Grange Park Opera taking the title role in Verdi’s Falstaff. In 2015 he played Reb Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof which was also a highlight of the BBC Proms.
Recent performances include Sweeney Todd (Zürich and ENO), Boris Godunov (Deutsche Oper Berlin and Covent Garden), Scarpia Tosca (Covent Garden and Wiener Staatsoper), Holländer Der fliegende Holländer (Munich and Bilbao) and title role Don Pasquale (Covent Garden). Other opera highlights include Hans Sachs Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (Welsh National Opera), Wotan The Ring Cycle (Covent Garden and the Metropolitan Opera, New York). Other signature roles include Méphistophélès Faust, title role and Leporello Don Giovanni, Jochanaan Salome, Scarpia Tosca, title role Gianni Schicchi, Nick Shadow Rake’s Progress, Wolfram Tannhäuser, Four Villains Contes d’Hoffmann
On the concert stage, highlights include the opening ceremony of the Wales Millennium Centre, BBC Last Night of the Proms, the Royal Variety Show, Gala Concert with Andrea Bocelli in Central Park, New York.
Terfel promotes the Welsh language and Welsh culture, and has been awarded the honour, by the National Eisteddfod, of membership of the Gorsedd of Bards. He was knighted in the 2017 New Year Honours for services to music and in 2015 was given the Freedom of the City of London.
★★★★★ from The Daily Mail
– 5 small leaves of gelatin
– 115g/4oz caster sugar
– 100ml/3½fl oz water
– 100ml/3½fl oz lemonade
– 175ml/6fl oz Pimm’s
– 250g/9oz strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
– 4 cucamelons, thinly sliced
– 1 handful of mint leaves, sliced
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold tap water, leaving it for a few minutes to soften
- Dissolve sugar in water over a medium-low heat, stirring all the time. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the softened gelatin leaves.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add lemonade and Pimm’s. Leave to set, stirring occasionally.
- Once the jelly starts to set, add the strawberries, cucamelons and a little mint.
- Transfer into small glasses or a jelly mould and leave to set for at least four hours in refrigerator before it is set and ready to serve. Garnish with remaining mint