The Theatre in the Woods embraces the pioneering spirit
A named step on a staircase
Thomas Sopwith’s first solo flight in 1910 crashed after 300 yards. Soon after he won a £4,000 prize for the longest flight from England to Europe in a British–built plane (169 miles in 3 hrs 40 mins.) using the winnings to set up the Sopwith School of Flying at Brooklands. The Sopwith Aviation Company received its first military aircraft order in 1912 and from premises in Kingston upon Thames produced 18,000+ British World War I planes, including 5,747 Sopwith Camel single-seat fighters.
Breaker of the Enigma code
A gold column in the atrium
Alan Turing was undoubtedly a genius. He was also a long-distance runner (he occasionally ran the 40 miles from Bletchley Park to London to attend meetings), he was prone to hay fever (in the first week of June he would wear a gas mask whilst cycling to the office) and cherished his mug (he chained it to the radiator pipes to prevent it being stolen).
The first artificial Earth satellite
A row in the stalls
In 1957 the Soviet Union launched Sputnik, a 23” diameter metal sphere with four antennae to broadcast radio pulses. Cearly visible from earth, it caused consternation and triggered the Space Race. The satellite transmitted signals for 21 days until the batteries ran out. The term beatnik was inspired by Sputnik.
• will be celebrated in February 2017 at an elegant dinner in central London
• will be given priority to dine in the house: Turings & Sputniks first priority; Sopwiths second priority
• may use the red drawing room before the performance
• will have priority to buy tickets for the opening night of the new theatre in June 2017
• will be acknowledged in the theatre, the Festival Programme and online for 30 years
• Sopwiths will be invited to book early for 10 seasons and to two post-performance parties per season (subject to capacity)
• Turings & Sputniks will be invited to book early for life and invited to post-performance parties at all attendances (subject to capacity)
Some pioneers may wish to pay over 3-5 years.
For more information…
HADRON COLLIDERS are naming opportunities for five boxes, the atrium, the upper tier, the balcony, the grand tier and the stalls circle. Prices on request
We are grateful to The Pioneers who have contributed towards the Appeal to build The Theatre in the Woods.